Our Pads and Pants are sold in discounted value packs (consisting of 5 pairs of Pants and 1 set of Pads), as well as separate individual Pants or Pads. Order from this page you are on now if you require a Pack. If you would like to order individual Pants or Pads please go to the Hip Protector – Individual Standard Pants and Pads product page.
- Soft foam construction for comfort and compliance
- Breathable black foam backing to help air circulation next to the skin
- Impact absorbing foam
- Various Pants styles and sizes available
- Washable Pads available
- University tested
Hip Protector Pads have been used for many years to help prevent hip fractures. By using Hip Protector Pads, some people who are in danger of falling may be saved from a fracture, or after a hip replacement operation, the Hip Protector Pads may prevent another operation. Pelican Hip Protector Pads are designed to partly absorb and redistribute the impact of a fall, particularly around the Greater Trochanter area to protect the bone.
A feature of the Pelican Pads is special black foam on the inside. As they may be worn 24 hours a day, it is important they are comfortable for the person. The black foam on the inside of the Pads helps to keep the Pads slightly off the body to allow some air circulation between the Pad and the Hip. Another benefit of the black foam is to grip the pocket material and keep the Pads in position.
The Pelican Hip Protector Pants have two pockets sewn inside the polycotton underpants. After pulling on the pants, ensure the Hip Protector Pads are located over the Greater Trochanter. The Hip Pad pockets are big enough to move the Hip Protector Pads up or down, or side to side in the Pockets. This gives some flexibility to correctly locate the Pads over the Greater Trochanter.
If a restless person removes the Pads, it is possible to simply sew the Pads in the pockets to keep the Pads in the correct position. Use a ball tip sewing machine needle to avoid cutting the threads of the polycotton pants material.
It is advisable to periodically check that the Pads are still located correctly over the Greater Trochanter.
Many falls occur during the night when people get out of bed to go to the toilet in an unlit room. The Pelican Hip Protectors give protection in case the wearer gets out of bed during the night and falls. The Pants may be worn 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Pay attention to the skin integrity under the Pad area. Factors such as the weather, or a person’s chemical make-up may affect the skin. It is recommended to have some time without wearing the Pads to allow the skin to breathe. If this becomes a serious problem, it may be better not to wear the Pants. This type of problem could occur with any brand of hip protectors.
We supply our Hip Protectors either:
- With the Pads separately to the Pants. The Pads generally do not need cleaning, so you can take the Pads out of a worn pair of Pants, and put them in a new pair of Pants.
- With the Pads sewn into the Pants. When ordering from the drop down box, select the same number of:
- Sew Pads In Option (at the bottom of the drop down box)
Hip Protector Pad Options
- Super Soft Washable Pads (Item # 179SSW) These can be left in the pants when washing them, or they can be removed and washed separately.
- SuperSoft Washable Pads – T5 (Item # 179SSWT5) Some older people are more fragile and less resilient to impact so their bone structure requires more protection. The SuperSoft Washable Pads – T5 are similar to the SuperSoft Washable Pads. The difference is that they have a thicker internal impact reduction foam.